When it comes to matches made in heaven, perhaps the perfect couple is cheese and wine. It is difficult to imagine one without the other, but as with many other pairings, not every type of cheese is perfectly complemented by every kind of wine.
To appreciate each cheese type, you need to make sure that you choose the right wine. So what wine pairs with brie cheese, for example? Or what would you serve with a nice chunk of sharp cheddar at your dinner party?
Cheese and wine pairings follow the basic rule that the lighter the cheese, the lighter the wine should be (and vice versa). Generally, each cheese type has a wine type that perfectly matches it.
So, based on this, here are some cheese and wine pairings that go together like Romeo and Juliet, David and Victoria Beckham, or Prince William and Kate.
- For a soft, creamy Camembert cheese, wine pairings should be with light and fruity wines, such as Bordeaux, Gewürztraminer or Riesling.
- For a mature brie cheese, wine pairings could be with Gamay, Châteauneuf-du-Pape or maybe Cabernet Sauvignon.
- A semi-soft cheese such as Monterey Jack should be paired ideally with either a rosé or light, dry white wine. But if the cheese is stronger, it can be perfectly paired with a fuller bodied wine.
- Sharp cheddar cheese, which is full of flavour, pairs beautifully with full bodied red wine like Chianti, Bordeaux or Zinfandel.
- A hard cheese like Parmesan tastes exquisite with a very dry white wine, such as Pinot Gris or Alsace, or even a drop of sherry.
For those who are fans of cheese and wine, the pairings above can give you a few ideas about what works – and what doesn’t. However, part of the fun is about discovering your own favourite pairings. These are guidelines, but you might want to try out a different Camembert cheese wine pairings, for example, if you have your own ideas.
Cheese and wine gift baskets in Toronto are a great way to give yourself – or a friend – the chance to try out the best wine and cheese pairings to see what you prefer. So, to see what wine and cheese gift baskets in Canada are available, visit our website or one of our Toronto locations.